Friday, March 20, 2015

How to apply for the USMLE Step 1

Towards the end of your Maine semester you need to request a USMLE/ECFMG ID number. You need this number to sign into ECFMG’s website to register for all of your USMLE Steps. In order to do this you need to:
1. go to www.ecfmg.org
2. Hover over the yellow tab that says “On-line Services”
3. Click on IWA – Interactive Web Application on the left side
4.  Go to the bottom it will says “If you have never been issues a USMLE/ECFMG Identification Number and want to request one" Click!
5. Follow the instructions and your number should be emailed to you within a week.

After you receive your number you will have to use this to login to the ECFMG site. You then have to submit a request for ECFMG Certification. You must also do this prior to applying for Step 1. I was in Maine from May-September and I submitted this form mid July to allow time. There is a $65 fee associated with this form. This is a certification that will be ongoing and won’t be finalized until after graduation.

After completing both of these items, you may request for USMLE Step 1 examination. Again login to ECFMG’s site via IWA and there is a link that says “Begin a New Application for USMLE Step 1.” Follow the instructions. I completed this application a few weeks before the exit exam. During this application is when you must choose a 3 month eligibility period for USMLE. ECFMG gives you a 3 month period to take the exam. If you have to extend that period and apply for another one it's another $70. Choose this period wisely. If you know you will pass the exit exam then choose a period close. I chose my period to be from September 1th to November 30th and in the end I ended up taking my exam October 27th (2 months after completing Maine). Everyone is different on how much time they think they need to study. I don't think I would have been able to take more than 2 months. At the completion of this application you are required to pay the fee for Step 1, which is currently $865.

Once you have completed the online portion, there is also a Certification Form 186 that you must fill out and submit 2 passport photos with it. This form + photos go to Carol in Maine. Make sure to write your name and ECFMG number on the back of each photo. Carol then sends this to the New York Office. Once you pass the exit exam, NY signals ECFMG that you’ve passed and to continue with your application for Step 1. To give a timeline, I submitted my step 1 Application on Aug 12, 2014, I took my exit exam Aug 21, 2014, application was approved by ECFMG on Sept 15, 2014. I actually got my scheduling permit to schedule via prometric on Sept 18, 2014 and scheduled my date that moment because I was afraid spots were going to fill up. So it took over a month to even be able to schedule my exam, so moral of the story is to allow time!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    Would you recommend applying for STEP 1 around the same time you did, 2 weeks before the exit exam, or earlier? Also do you know approximately how many USMLE exam dates are offered per month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every weekend i used to visit this web site, because i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page conations in fact fastidious funny information too.

    ReplyDelete